Pulse doubler schematic

Mike Turner MikeTurner at kemet.com
Thu Oct 1 18:53:17 GMT 1998

I will spend some time this weekend looking at a PIC design. Since I don't
have one of the 8 pin chips, the first version will require more pins. I am
assuming the pulse rate doubler function is what is wanted. The dc bias
would require a d/a converter and other such stuff: Version 2! As stated
before, starting and stopping are the interesting parts. Acceleration and
deceleration at slow speeds also complicate matters. Do I assume the
vehicle can change speeds at more than 2G's? There aren't may street
machines that can exceed 1.3G. If you can afford the tires to do that, you
can afford the expensive electronics. : )

MPH Input HZ Output Hz
140    77.778     155.56
120    66.667     133.33
100    55.556     111.11
60      33.333     66.667
30       16.667    33.333
10       5.556       11.111
1         .5555       1.111
.5       .2778        .5555

PLL designs that can support a 100:1 lock range are rare. I would be
extremely interested to see such a design and how it is derived. Learning
new circuits always brightens up my day. : )