My short ZL-1 version

Joe Boucher BoucherJC at lmtas.lmco.com
Thu Oct 8 14:38:31 GMT 1998

>From my friend that owns a ZL-1 engine:
Less than 75 built for '69 model year.  Developed for a NHRA drag class requiring a
minimum of 50 production cars built.  GM decided on Camaro's.  One dealership
bought the 50 car run of completely stripped down Camaro's.  Other dealers
screamed, so 18 more were built.  The remaining engines have no documentaion of
where they went.  Rumors abound about a few in Corvettes (actually these were
probably documented), one or two in Monte Carlo's, all associated with the cars
going to GM big wig's.  These cars are supposed to be stored in the secret GM
warehouse were these special cars go.  Probably next door to the governments alien
warehouse.

There is a ZL-1 mailing list on the web.  I don't know how to contact it.

My friend acquired his engine from an individual in Florida.  He was introduced to
the lead engineer of the ZL-1 project who by then was a V.P or President of Olds or
Pontiac.  Anyway, way up there.  The V.P. had all the documentation of the COPO
number version of the street Camaro that was to be built.  He and my buddy made an
"exchange" for a copy of the documentation.  He then converted his already prestine
'69 Camaro into what would have been sold to the public, if it had.  He's told me
the car accelrates from 60 to 100 almost instanteously and just keeps going.
There's a rich SOB that has more than one of the original ZL-1's.  The first show
my friend went to, the SOB tried to buy the car.  My friend laughed at him.

Joe Boucher
'70 RS/SS Camaro  '81 TBI Suburban