16149396 ECM

EFISYSTEMS at aol.com EFISYSTEMS at aol.com
Sat Oct 10 01:22:18 GMT 1998

<< Subj:	 16149396 ECM
 Date:	98-10-09 03:54:23 EDT
 From:	ludis at cruzers.com (Ludis Langens)
 Sender:	owner-diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu
 Reply-to:	diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu
 To:	diy_efi at esl.eng.ohio-state.edu (Diy_efi)

 Two friends are each planning on an engine swap using the GM 3.4 DOHC
 engine.  This engine was used in the W-bodies (Lumina / Grand Prix) for
 six to seven years.  Supposedly, the 16149396 ECM was used with this
 engine from 91 to 93.  This is one of the "underhood" style ECMs which
 lives in the engine compartment.  For this swap, a "passenger
 compartment" ECM would be better.  Does the '9396 have such an
 equivalent?  One that can run a MEMCAL meant for the '9396?  (Like
 1227727 vs 1227730.)  One of the friends is threatening to bungee the
 '9396 ECM to a strut and go driving.  (The year range needs to be 91-93
 because those are the only years for which a manual transmission 3.4
 MEMCAL is available.)

 For those of you with the magic books, is the '9396 exclusive to the 3.4
 twin dual cam?  Or is it also used with the other W-body engine
 choices?  Is there a more common ECM which can be used as a service
 replacement?

Hi Ludis,
         I looked in my "magic" book and it shows that computer(9396) was also
used in the 93 3.1L vin T....as for whether there is a passenger compartment
processor equivalent I'll look into that on Monday.......I hope I understood
that correctly,,,,,do you want a watertight computer(underhood) or non
waterproof (in cab)?????
-Carl Summers