Subaru Impreza Ignition Systems

Nick Tangney mes at iinet.net.au
Sun Oct 11 09:13:43 GMT 1998

I am in the process of building a heavily modified Alfa Romeo 2 litre
turbo engine and have borrowed some ignition components from Subaru's
Impreza (WRX) - namely the direct fire coil and ignition module. All
this is to be controlled by an Autronics SM2 computer.
I have two ignition modules (Bosch 1 227 022 008 units) and I need to
understand the wiring between these and the coil (Diamond F-569 from the
Impreza).
The coil has an electrical connector with three cables - 1. yellow/blue
stripe, 2. red/white stripe & 3. blue/silver stripe. What are each of
these coloured wires? I believe the coil (which has 4 high tension
outlets, one for each of the 4 cylinders spark plugs) is actually two
separate coils. If this is the case, I'm guessing that two of the three
low tension cables are the +ve signal inputs with the third being a
common earth... but as I say, I'm guessing.
Thanks for any assistance.
Nick.
Perth, Western Australia
fax:  +61 (0)8 9367 4060