GM water pump

Joe Boucher BoucherJC at lmtas.lmco.com
Mon Oct 12 16:16:57 GMT 1998

> From: bamcknig at postoffice.syspac.com
> Date: Sun, 11 Oct 1998 19:45:57 +0000
> Subject: Re: GM water pump
>
> Martin
>
> I think there are 2 small block water pumps.  One goes CW and the
> other CCW.  I am not sure of applications but maybe this will help.
>
> Bob McKnight
> Phoenix AZ

I haven't responded because I don't have a clue what could cause the leak problems.

The different clock directions are used for the sepentine belt or the v belt.  The
v-belt spins the same direction as the crank.

On the '89 engine in my Suburban, the heater take off is from the back passenger side
of the intake manifold and exits to the radiator.  If your engine is supposed to do
this and it's plugged or a heater core block off is plugging the flow, maybe that's
causing high pressure.

Is the temperature sensor in the opposite head from the side you suspect the coolant
sensor is blocked?  Then the one side maybe heating up and the sensor not catching
it.  But higher pressures mean higher temperatures, so a gage should catch that.

But if you had very bad pressure build up, the cap would open up and dump the
coolant.

Could you have a build up of abrasives in the block?

Is this a 150k mile dog or a fresh engine?

I'll try to remember to ask the Camaro list about this.

Joe Boucher
'70 RS/SS Camaro  '81 TBI Suburban