Engine Operating Temps

am018 am018 at post.almac.co.uk
Tue Oct 13 16:02:53 GMT 1998

No from basic thermodynamics  the hotter the water jacket temperature the
higher the mean effective presure (ie torque & power)  because less heat is
rejected to the coolant, in effect the cylinder pressure is higher at towards
the end of the power stroke -- effect of temperature is even more pronunced  on
a turbo engine as this raises the gas temperature at the end of the stroke.
The temperature is of course ristricted by other consideratons --- knock,
engine materials particularly pistons, piston rings and valves   and also the
boiling point of water.

Andy MacFadyen