Simple Question

WILMAN wilman at hkabc.net
Wed Oct 14 00:47:31 GMT 1998

----------
> From: justin w ivan und stnt <jwi0939 at megahertz.njit.edu>
> To: diy_efi at efi332.eng.ohio-state.edu
> Subject: Simple Question
> Date: Tuesday, October 13, 1998 8:10 AM
>
> Was wondering if you guys could help out a newbie. What conditions would
> occur if a 4-cyl efi motor (VW 1.8L supercharged from the factory) were
> not have the O2 sensor hooked up? Would the car run rich, lean just plain
> crappy. Does a working O2 sensor vs. a non-working one really make that
> much of a difference? My car is running like garbage right now and
besides
> the timing being off, the O2 sensor is also very suspect.
>    Please reply privately, I don't want to annoy any one wi/ my simple
> question.
>
>    Thanks,
> Justin Ivan

I have worked on quite a few Mk3 Golfs here although none had the
supercharger.
The car should run rich without the lambda sensor connected. It should not
affect
actual running that much though. I suspect there must be something wrong
with
either one of the more important sensors (e.g. throttle potentiometer,
coolant temp
sensor or air flow/mass sensor). Have you checked the fault code stored?
If you are serious about your VW, I think you should buy the VWtool by
Carcomp.

Wilman Lee