300 degree coolant

Chill4 at ix.netcom.com Chill4 at ix.netcom.com
Wed Oct 14 03:55:02 GMT 1998

Here's my advice, I have a 400 SBC that doesn't have steam holes in the
heads. The first thing I'll say is it's a race car and you cannot run this
setup on the street as a daily driver but you can make it livable for short
trips or idling in the staging lanes for long periods. You need to run Fel-
Pro head gaskets #1004 these restrict flow in the middle passages and add a
hole to the bottom of the gasket that is usually blocked off , this is
designed to equalize the temperature in the head, but they are a race
only gasket and they have no steam holes. Those will work but the first
thing you'll notice when you open the pack is the big attention notice
saying if you intend on running below 3000 r.p.m. you need to add steam
holes to the head. One modification I have done and recommend is to drill
into the back of the heads and tap it for 3/8 n.p.t., I use two 90 degree
elbows, two hose fittings, and 5/8 hose to connect the two heads this sends
flow from the driver side right to the pass. side that supposedly will help
the flow to the pass. side head, I picked that trick up from a dirt track
racer, all I can say is it hasn't hurt and the car does seem to run cooler.
But with out steam holes it doesn't matter what kind of coolant you have if
your cruising around (idle -> 3500 r.p.m.) you will run hot. By the way do
you have a full fan shroud if not get one that will help, you should also
run to a speed shop and buy this stuff called 40 Below it's like water
wetter but better, it will help it from heating up so fast. To end my
rambling if it's a race car leave that oil cooler on the RX-7 and buy a
trailer, if it's a street car drill the steam holes and you'll be much
happier.
Later,
Chris
Chill4 at ix.netcom.com