More Fuel Return

Vogt Family vogt at oro.net
Tue Oct 20 07:43:27 GMT 1998

Ok, people...now you're speaking my language.  I have a '61 F-100 4wd
and cooling is of the utmost concern.  This is because it is typically
used on very hot days generating large amounts of power and going very
slow.  In addition the torque convertor is also slipping all the time
and the power steering is getting thoroughly abused, and the air
conditioner will be running as soon as I get it :-)  The truck is also
used on very steep side hills.

I have read about even high pressure fuel injection systems with tank
return still having vapor lock problems with frame rail mounted pumps.
They even have pump overheating problems even though the full fuel flow
is running THROUGH the pump motor.  The only thing that will solve some
of these is going to an in the tank pump.

Now, I have an in the cab tank and would rather keep it that way becuase
it is out of the way of the rocks and stones.  I am willing to take the
risk of the fuel return line but it will be steel tubing only.  The fuel
dam idea sounds really good, I had not heard it before.

I guess that I am going to have to make a big hole in the top of the
tank to fit all this stuff in there.  It will probably be square and
sealed with a gasket and a bunch of sheet metal screws.  This is the way
the existing fuel sender is sealed.  I don't know how to go about
sticking the fuel dam to the bottom, though.  It would be nice to have
it the full width of the tank (long and narrow) so that fuel running
side to side would fill it back up.  I know soldering is out on this.
Is that "marine tex" type epoxy any good for this?  It's supposed to be
fuel resistant.

Birken