GM pickup coil and ignition coil mismatch

Robert Wilkinson rw at ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
Tue Oct 20 05:22:39 GMT 1998

>> Just read a little blurb from a service manual:
>> "Ingnition coils with Red and White leads should be matched with
>>pick-up  coils having either a Clear, a Black, or a Blue connector.
>>Ignition coils with Red and Yellow leads must be matched with pick-up
>>coils with a Yellow connector."
>>
>> Mine don't match, and I'm trying to trace down a high rpm miss....
>>think I am on the right track??
>
>I duno, and the auto supplies don't either... If you buy a replacement
>pickup (or aftermarket one), no one can say which coil to buy to match
>it... much less xref an aftermarket coil to an aftermarket pickup. This
>is the first doc I have heard of.

Well, that's all I have right now, just one doc that hints at color
signaling the compatibility between the two. Just for kicks, I called a
few places, and Jeg's tech support says I'm supposed to have a red and
yellow coild with my 86 camaro.  Yet, I pulled out a coil from a stock 86
today, and it was reda and white.
I am really lost now, as I don't know
enough about the circuit to make my own decision about which coil and
which pickup coil I should use??!?!

-Robert