return line to gas tank

Greg Hermann bearbvd at sni.net
Thu Oct 22 14:04:18 GMT 1998

>PS detonation is not a problem over 3000 rpm (more flames).
>
>Just my $0.02   Tom

No flames here. Just would say that reduction is proportional to speed, not
an absolute transition at 3K. Increased engine speed is a well documented
antidote to detonation. Drag racers could not begin to run nitro ("Pop") if
they did not turn their motors so fast! I suspect that a lot of the really
spectacular blows happen when the tires hook up too well, and slow the
engine down enough to where detonation matters! Never seen any numbers
(doubt if it is testable), but I suspect that nitro might have an octane
rating in the high seventies or low eighties, if that high!!

Regards, Greg