return line to gas tank

Clarence L.Snyder clare.snyder.on.ca at ibm.net
Thu Oct 22 23:21:04 GMT 1998

mrvette wrote:

> > Use an old propane tank - built to take one H&%^ of a beating. Mount it
> > anywhere protected. Or make the tank out od Sched 40 6061 T6 5" pipe.
>
> --   propane tank....hehehe   I LIKE your thinking...that's just crazy enuff to
> work....gotta drill another input/throughput hole though...any idea how thick
> these things are?...and what the fuel flow rate is through a 3/8" od line at ~40
> psi is?     if the math works out   Im fairly certain there is a solution to
> mounting it.....
>
> Been there, done this,  enuff guys thinking o the same silly problem will come
> up with a silly solution...that works....GENE   :-)))
>
>                                 ____________
> Fun under the sun in          //~~~~~~~~~~~~\\
> Jacksonville, Fl.  :-)))     //______________\\
>                        /~~~---~   |      |   ~---~~~\
>                       /|    /______\____/______\    |\
>                     (( | /      |          |      \ | ))
>      Mako 'Vettes    | \============================/ |
>  Shift better with   |\ \\[  ]    |mrvette|   [  ]// /|
>      Automatics      | \/+========================+\/ |
>                      |~==============================~|
>                      |_____|                    |_____|
They will be 1/8" or less in thickness. As for fuel flow, you will want
as big a fuel feed to the surge tank as you can get, using a Hi Volume,
low pressure feed pump. No need for floats or valves either - just make
sure you vent the top of the tank back to the main tank so the surge
tank is always right full - vapour pressure does not cause the level to
drop. The little (smaller than regular BarBQ tank) refillable bottles
would likely be best to use. Actually, if you use an external (frame
mounted) EFI pump, you don't even have to drill any holes or modify the
tank at all. Just unscrew the valve assy, and modify a pipe plug to
accept the required lines. Feed line goes either top or bottom, outlet
to the bottom, and small vapour bleed at the top.
If you decide to use an intank pump, buy a brand new, unpurged
tank.(they are cheap enough) and you can cut, drill, and weld with
impunity (after removing the valve, of course).