RE return to fuel tank

Greg Hermann bearbvd at sni.net
Fri Oct 23 02:59:56 GMT 1998

>Hey Greg, can you tell me any more about the Bosch "Air Shroud" injectors
>mentioned in your post?  Thanks.

All I can say for sure is that they are discussed in the "BOSCH Handbook of
Auto Electric and Electronic Systems (which Amazon.com has), complete with
some diagrams and pictures. There is one truly IMPRESSIVE high speed photo
of the fuel spray pattern from a regular injector next to the pattern from
one of the "air shrouded" injectors. One look at the picture convinced me
beyond any doubt as to why I want either these or (better still) Orbitals
air boosted units, even just for a TPI setup!! The fuel spray is no longer
a spray of small droplets, it is almost literally a fog!!

The Bosch units just bleed a tiny little bit of air around the throttle by
means of hoses and let it in around the outside of the injector nose.
(Which is why they only really do their atomization thing at idle and part
throttle.) (But this is also where the mfgrs care most about the effect
that better atomization will have on lowering emissions and raising CAFE.)
Really a rather clever way to get the atomization advantage where they need
it the most, without driving up the cost a lot!

Of course, a power crazed nut such as myself wants the same advantages at
WOT, so I will likely have to use Orbital stuff. The cost for me to do it
won't be quite so bad, as the stork brought my pet project to me with an
air compressor already mounted on it, and it was gonna keep it anyway (for
serious brake boosters, etc.)

Wish I could tell you part #'s or any applications for the Bosch "air
shrouded" units, but I do not know any---maybe one of the guys from the
other side of the little lake could tell us??? Francois??

I had been thinking in the back of my head that maybe a set of them might
boost my 164E's highway mileage by 3 to 5 mpg----

Regards, Greg