Supercharged/turbo charged systems?

Chris Conlon synchris at ricochet.net
Tue Oct 27 16:53:37 GMT 1998

Robert Scott Winnicki wrote:

> > anyone ever heard of cars with both of these installed on them.  I though
> > I heard of a MR2 that had a custom set up on it, but I have never seen it.
>
> The Lancia Delta S4, and is the only car ever produced from factory and
> homologated to have both the supercharger and turbocharger. The MR2
> would have to be custom.

It was, or rather, they were. HKS made a Twincharger kit, basically an
add-on turbo for a supercharged car. No more than 5 were ever sold, I
think the number might have been 3.

A friend of mine has a twincharged MR2, but the turbo was custom, not
from the kit. Estimate 350HP from 1.7l on pump gas, ~400 on race gas.
It's actually probably still for sale, cheap even. Email for details, or
http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/track/9534/

Another fellow on the MR2 list has one of the HKS kits installed, but
had to do a lot of tweaking, etc. You can imagine that a product with a
production run of 5 might not have all the bugs worked out.

And I know I'll build one eventually, but not on my current MR2. Need to
get another supercharged one first.

Out of curiosity, why the question?

   Chris C.