Supercharged/turbo charged systems?

Francois Dion francois at hyperreal.org
Tue Oct 27 16:52:03 GMT 1998

Clive Apps Techno-Logicals 416 510 0020 wrote:

> > The Lancia Delta S4, and is the only car ever produced from factory and
> > homologated to have both the supercharger and turbocharger. The MR2
> > would have to be custom. 480hp, 350ftlbs, from a 1759cc. The most
> > outrageous Rallye group B car ever produced, but unfortunately the FIA
> > pulled the plug on group B after Henri Toivonen died in a crash in the S4.
> >
> > Not surprising, these cars were a bit too fast for dirt roads... 0-60 in
> > 6 seconds on gravel (!) and 142 mph. That, from a car that looks from
> > a hatchback the size of a volkswagen golf...
>
> but not the most outrageous Group B
> the Escort Cossie in evo trim will do 720 + HP and 0-60 in 2.2 sec
> 4wd 2.x l turbo

Ah, but the cossie was not homologated and was 450hp in B rally trim.
The evo model was not approved to a group B and made 550 hp from a
2.1 (the car that could have been homologated was 1.8L) and the Guiness
states 3.07s on the evo trim (a modification to a non homologated model),
not 2.2 and was on asphalt, not gravel. The B cossie on gravel
probably had similar performance to the S4. It did have a rumored
180 mph top speed tough. So yes, had the cossie been homologated,
it would have been the most outrageous :)

Interesting note: Toivonen drove the S4 with a copilot at Estoril, and got
a result that would have earned him the 6th position in the Formula 1
grand prix of estoril that year (86). It says a lot about the driver and the
car. How unfortunate that they died that year... (if you cant tell I'm a
big fan)

Ciao,
Francois Dion (francois at hyperreal.org)
--