Home-brewing an ignition advance control

cudabob at workmail.com cudabob at workmail.com
Tue Oct 27 19:40:00 GMT 1998

Al,

I just picked up (purchased) a "programmable EI system" from an
outfit in Australia. (KitZ). It is based on a PIC 16C84 and features
multi cylinder choices, dual programmable advance curves and
other nice features. But I digress....Tony Nixon who wrote the
program, willing shares his concepts and even a copy of the
original code is/was on his home page....something or other
"picknpoke".

The basic idea is to lock both the advances (mech  & Vac) at full
advance, set the distributor at 45 deg BTDC and delay firing the
coil by a calculated time, based by rpm. Simple eh?

CudaBob

>From: ARoss10661 at aol.com
>Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 22:03:34 EST
>Subject: Home-brewing an ignition advance control

>I have been pouring over the HEI 4-pin and 7-pin diagrams and info
>on this page.  The amount of info that is to be found on this page
>is FANTASTIC!
>I am trying to figure out how to make an ignition advance control
>for a GM HEI. I know MSD sells one but I would like to make my
>own if possible.

>It's a lot more satisfying that way and I learn alot more.  Is this
>done with an adjustable timer IC or is it some other kind of signal
>conditioning.
>
>Any Ideas???
>
>Thanks for listening
>Al Ross