y2k and auto ecm's

Raymond C Drouillard cosmic.ray at juno.com
Wed Oct 28 03:37:07 GMT 1998

Most of the dire predictions about the Y2K bug are made by journalists
and economists with little knowledge about the bug.

Think about this:  If your ECM did know that the clock had just rolled
over, would that cause it to stop running?  In most cases, the "bug" will
just cause phony dates, negative numbers where they should be positive,
etc.

Also, the banks have been familiar with the bug and fixing parts of it
since 1970.  A mortgage issued in 1970 will be paid off in 2000.  As they
approach the century mark, shorter term loans and CDs will be affected.

There will, no doubt, be some mayhem when the clock rolls over.  Nothing
like the holocost that some are predicting, however.

We are, of course, making some money by fixing some programs and
replacing others.

Ray Droillard
Senior Programmer/Analyst, System Solvers, Ltd.