Oxygen sensor and high speed stumble

David A. Cooley n5xmt at bellsouth.net
Fri Oct 30 22:45:13 GMT 1998

At 04:23 PM 10/30/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Have done what you suggest but with an Auto X-Ray rather than a Diacom.
>Difference between stock and PR chip for low speed ping appears to be the
>deletion of the EGR function.  But the problem alluded to below, i.e., the
>high speed loss of power happens with either the stock chip or the PR chip.
> The car appears to be starving for fuel almost like the fuel filter is
>plugged but I recently changed it.  That is why I pulled some fuel from the
>tank to ensure that I didn't get a load of crap or my tank wasn't dirty.
>So my question still remains, how marginal are the stock fuel pumps and if
>I boost the system pressure will it starve at higher RPM because the pump
>can't meet the demanded flow rate at the higher pressure.

Bob,
One other thing to check and the GN's have a real problem with this is
there is a filter "sock" on the pump inlet in the tank... This can get
plugged and/or collapse restricting flow to the inlet of the pump.
You're best bet to see what's happening is to get a Fuel Pressure guage and
hook it to the fuel rail, and clip it under the windshield wiper so it's
outside the car and watch it as the car starts to lose power... If there is
no steady drop in pressure the problem lies elsewhere (Catalytic converter
partially plugged, loss of power from huge backpressure buildup between the
engine and cat etc.).
Dave

           David Cooley N5XMT           Internet: N5XMT at bellsouth.net
       I am Pentium of Borg...division is futile...you will be approximated.