Renault F1 V10

Michael Kasimirsky mtk at tmc.astm.cmri.cmu.edu
Tue Sep 1 12:07:23 GMT 1998

> All this talk about where injectors should go reminded me of
> a video I have. It's about the Renault F1 V10 engine.
> It's about the engine development Renault conducted for the
> Williams team back in '96.

First off, I would LOVE to see that video...  Care to get in the video
rental business?  :-)
Where did you get this video?  I'd really like to get my hands on a copy
of this.

Can you see the throttle assemblies?  I'd like to see the barrel
throttles that
are used on F1 engines.

> Anyway, there is a section which has the engine running on a
> dyno, and a close up of it showed what looked like the
> injectors sitting on top of the trumpets, spraying fluid into
> the trumpets. Amazing stuff, but they never explained why
> these injectors were positioned above the trumpets instead of
> the usual place.

>From what I understand, the injectors are mounted in that location to
try and
improve the quality of the mixture.  An F1 engine turns 17,000 rpm and
consequently
has very little time for injection of fuel and atomization of same.  So
they mount the
injectors above the intake velocity stack to give the fuel some extra
time and distance to
get mixed with the incoming air.

Michael Kasimirsky            1990 Yamaha FZR400 Superbike Racer
Loki Motorsports              1993 Kawasaki ZX1100D1 Streetbike Rider
FASTTRAX & WERA Novice #22  Sponsored by Loki Motorsports, Bridgestone,
mtk at tmc.astm.cmri.cmu.edu        Street & Competition, and AGV.