Renault F1 V10

Adrian Teo adrian.teo at asu.edu
Tue Sep 1 15:02:31 GMT 1998

On Sep 1,  9:25, Bruce Plecan wrote:
> Also, might consider the fact that that stuff has almost nothing
> in common with what we think of as gasoline.  Last quote I
> heard was that it was like $35 per liter.  Also, extremely toxic.
> If ya can look at the breathing gear the refueler wears.

....hope you don't mind me interjecting...

According to F1 regulations, the gasoline used in F1 cars is pump quality
petrol and to be legal for use, has to be sold at the pump. Since no after-pump
additives are allowed, this is usually 108 octane or better UNLEADED gasoline.

The pit crew are so dressed not because of toxic fumes but for safety measures.
There have been many a time where fuel ignites (due to some problem or
otherwise) during pitstops. The breathing gear increases the crew member's
surviability.

...anyway, back to the main discussion.

Having had the opportunity to have seen/handled the Renault V10 RS6 and RS7
first hand, the injectors are so placed (along a rail above the throttle body
stacks) for optimal A/F mix.

These engines are designed to be operated in excess of 15000 rpm and hence to
maximize the intake efficiency the intake stacks are very short. However higher
RPM's also mean that the fast moving air has less time to mix with the fuel.
Hence, the injectors are made to spray directly into the intake stack from a
distance to allow the A/F charge to mix properly. Also, since these engines are
hardly operated at part-throttle situations, the presence of the throttle
plates downstream of the injectors do not cause that much fuel condensation...

-AT

Adrian Teo                               e-mail: adrian.teo at asu.edu
System Administator
Instruction Support, Arizona State University
Ph: 602.965.9411                         http://hybrid.asu.edu
Fx: 602.965.2724     Pg:602.204.1831     e-page: adrian at falcon.asu.edu