Renault F1 V10

Greg Hermann bearbvd at sni.net
Tue Sep 1 18:05:23 GMT 1998

>According to F1 regulations, the gasoline used in F1 cars is pump quality
>petrol and to be legal for use, has to be sold at the pump. Since no after-pump
>additives are allowed, this is usually 108 octane or better UNLEADED gasoline.

And if you believe that, I have this bridge in Brooklyn that is for
sale---- The ways that these guys invent to cheat could even make the old
Curtis  (Pops) Turner/ Smokey Yunick team look like they just fell of the
turnip truck.
Once watched a pal pour twe GI cans of left over F1 go juice into his Olds
Cutlass (350) Vista Cruiser at Watkins Glen after  the race, cuz he was too
low on gas to make it back home to Ithaca. Results: car made about 25% more
power on way home; car's mileage dropped by about 60%; by two days later,
car's engine (previously good) sounded loose as a goose and worn out.
Hmmmm.
Bill raced a Mini-Cooper at the time, and had also liberated two more
fivers of the same stuff for use therein. After listening to the way the
Olds sounded after its experience. we conducted a small experiment: threw a
splash of the stuff into a glass beaker of brand new Valvoline racing oil.
Within about three minutes, the sample of new motor oil had separated into
five or six layers!! Needless to say, the rest of the fuel never went into
the Mini! Never seen anything like that occur if tried with pump gas!!---Go
figure! By the way,, the F1 rules read about the same at that time as they
do now as to fuel composition.

My conclusion: F1 fuel guys are mad chemists, even in comparison to top
fuel drag racers, but at least the drag guys admit to their addictions and
weaknesses.

Regards, Greg