Renault F1 V10

Greg Hermann bearbvd at sni.net
Tue Sep 1 19:28:28 GMT 1998

>> >According to F1 regulations, the gasoline used in F1 cars is
>> pump quality
>> >petrol and to be legal for use, has to be sold at the pump.
>> Since no after-pump
>> >additives are allowed, this is usually 108 octane or better
>> UNLEADED gasoline.
>
>While this may be the regs, I don't think it's reality.  For example, a
>top-line AMA or WSB-spec Superbike (750cc, 4-cylinder) uses about
>40 degrees of ignition advance to get power out of the engine at 14,000
>rpm
>or so.  Now optimum power comes with 10 degrees or so of ignition
>timing, but you can't do this with "normal" gasoline.
>
>Now the F1 guys have developed fuel, called "gasoline," that allows them
>to run
>10-12 degrees of advance at 17,000 rpm and make piles of power.  My
>understanding
>is that it's a concoction of Benzene, Tolulene, etc.

Don't forget the Xylene--the nastiest and most carcinogenic of the bunch,
unless, of course some or all of the above are nitrated to one degree and
percentage or another!!! Then there are other neat things like hydrazine.
Try reading a book about the things Werner Von Braun put into V-2's and
some of his later rockets. Also try reading some stuff about torpedo motor
fuels. Neat, but don't sniff it.

Regards, Greg

and other nasty