ignition miss

Andrew F. Gunnesch afgun at mongoose.dearborn.sgi.com
Wed Sep 2 12:25:48 GMT 1998

I have a 1989 TransAm GTA with the 5.7L MAF TPI.  I believe it's
a 165 ECM, right?  :)

well, having a problem...  the other day I re-timed my car.  set
the timing back about 3-4 degrees to make the pinging go higher in the
RPM band (it worked).  Now, however, I'm getting an intermittent
ignition problem:  It cuts out on me occasionally, like once a second
for several seconds in a row.  I fear that I might have caused an
intermittent open in one of the wires (reference lead maybe?) as the
tach drops when I get the miss.

Today on my way to work the car was really bad...  it was doing a lot
of cutting out, frustrating me greatly.

Today the tach was NOT dipping, but the speedometer was jumping up.
If I put the car in neutral and floor it, it revs up to about 6500
(won't go any higher now, used to easily hit over 7000) and the
speedometer jumps up to 140.

So, do I have a failing ECM?  VSS buffer?  Something else?

None of the other gauges seem affected by this, and the SES light does
not come on.  No codes are set, either.

If I get the miss at idle or while just starting from idle, the
engine dies and I have to re-start.

*sigh*

suggestions?

Thanks!