temperature sensors

Jake Sternberg chickens at ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
Wed Sep 2 15:17:54 GMT 1998

> I want to measure both inlet and outlet temperature through my
> intercooler but don't really want to pay AUS$150 for a dual
> thermo-couple readout unless there is no other alternative.
>
> David West

you could take two GM intake air temp sensors (three wire devices i
think? 5v supply?)  and mount one before and one after, then use a
digital multimeter with a switch.  voltages translate linearly to
temperatures, but you'd have to figure out two temperatures to figure
out actual degrees.

on the upside, there is no cheaper way to do it.  oh, you can use
water temp gauges for the readouts too, but their range is not necessarily
what you're looking for.  GM air temp and coolant temp sensors (on modern
vehicles) have the same connector and same voltage-temperature map.

-jake