it's dead, jim

Clare Snyder clare.snyder.on.ca at ibm.net
Fri Sep 4 02:18:11 GMT 1998

Carmine wrote:

> James Weiler wrote:
>
> > I assume this is a GM??  From what I've heard and experienced GM has a
> > little problem with ignition modules.  This is seperate from your ECM.
> > Cost is about $200 from a dealer.
> > HTH
> > jw
> >
> > On Thu, 3 Sep 1998, Andrew F. Gunnesch wrote:
> >
> > > Well, my '89 GTA died today.  It won't start.  It cranks and cranks and
> > > occasionally I'll get a spark to one or two cylinders, but not enough
> > > to sustain combustion in order to drive it home.
> > >
> > > I don't have any diagnosing information right now, as the car's at work
> > > and am I, and all my tools and manuals are at home.  *sigh*
> > >
> > > Wish me luck.  I hope it's not my ECM.
> > >
> > > --andrew
> > >

> I don't think it's the ECM.  It's likely to be the ignition
> coil.
>
> Carmine
With waste fire ignition, there has been some problems with the coils
burning through the module, particularly on engines that have exhibited
a miss. A bad plug wire puts the voltage WAY up, and since it has to go
somewhere, the module (mounted under the coil, and between the coil and
the engine "ground" ends up taking the arc - and dying in the process.
--
                               _/\_

                 Looks like we've finally fixed it!!!
                I am still clare.snyder.on.ca at ibm.net