L-Jetronic or LH-Jetronic for 77 mgb ? & ford tempo throtle body

Jim Lill jpl at vectorbd.com
Sat Sep 5 22:02:12 GMT 1998

On Sat, 5 Sep 1998, Stowe, Ted-SEA wrote:

> I was recently forwarded a good article on putting a L-jetronic from a
> renault fuego into a mgb from Dave Chu (thanks). and I was wondering if
> anyone knew the merits of using a LH-Jetronic vs the L, the hot-wire
> system in the LH appeals to me. however it does use a lamda or O2
> sensor, (the L does not)

I'd go with something *with* lambda. Downside is the need for unleaded,
upside is the closed loop will trim the mixture in.

L-Jet does not have lambda
LU-Jet is same w/lambda

Models of the AMC (Renault) Alliance had LU-Jet
Various Fiat had L-Jet w/lambda
BMW 318i up to 85 had LU-Jet

I'd think that the 318i would be an easy plug-n-play. I don't think
there's many LH-Jet systems for that small of motor.

Keep in mind that none of these, L, LU, LH, have uP based computers.
There'll all full analog.

The parts to make the L(U) don't all have to come from the 318i, you could
use pieces from the others I listed. The Peugeot ZDJL motor (2165cc) used
LU-Jet and was pretty low performance so it could be a source too. Nissan,
Subaru, and Toyota all used used L-Jet variants at some point too.

Probst's and Watson's books are good places to look.