GTA lives again

Andrew F. Gunnesch afgun at mongoose.dearborn.sgi.com
Sun Sep 6 15:48:39 GMT 1998

Thanks for everyone's input on getting my GTA back on the road.
A refresher:

1989 TransAm GTA
5.7L TPI, MAF, '165 ECM

A couple of weeks ago I had retimed it.  A few days later it started getting
an intermittant miss/cut out on the road.  It would happen a few times per
day on my trips.  I meant to get to it this weekend...

Thursday at work the car got worse.  It refused to start after a little bit.
I had no time, so left it there for a couple of days.

Yesterday I went out to diagnose it.  Had I had a diacom or scan tool, it
would have been trivial, but...

anyways, after following a number of tests, I decided that the ECM wasn't
getting reference signals from the distributor, so the fuel injectors
weren't pulsing.  I took the 4-wire connector off of the distributor,
cleaned it and pinched down all of the connectors, hooked it back up, and
the car runs flawlessly again.

Apparently I had disloged the connector ever so slightly, or stretched one
of the wires, causing the intermittent no reference pulse symptom.  Now as
to why the speedometer would jump up, I have no idea...

Anyways, it's running great again.  I'm sorry to the Michigan guys that I
wasn't able to make the M3 event.  I was really looking forward to meeting
everybody.

For the DIY_EFI guys, if someone offers custom chip tuning for a '165 ECM,
please contact me offline, as there are some changes that I NEED to make
to mine to get rid of my detonation.

And if anybody has a set of 24 lb/hour injectors that DO NOT LEAK, I'm also
interested.

Thanks for "listening"

--andrew