Data logging efi

am018 am018 at post.almac.co.uk
Thu Sep 10 10:44:13 GMT 1998

Several ways to do this --  1) buy or make from a kit a dedicated I/0 card
for the PC
                                          2) Use the printer port to
interface to an A/D convertor
                                                such as the serial   TLC548
chip
                                           3) Use a conventional parallel A/D
convertor interfacing
                                                to printer port via hex
buffers.
All of these will need the addition of a simple analogue multiplexer chip(s)
to enable you to switch data channels.

Of these option 2 is the easiest to implement as  on modern PC with an
over-crowded PCI bios can it be difficult  to install non-plug and play cards
-- my current PC has only 2 physical ISA slots and I have seen a file server
motherboard with only 1 !.

Option 3 has some advantages in that some nice A/D convertors are available
some with built in multi-plexing but interfacing the TLC548   is so simple it
is the best way to go.

A 486 or even a 386 would be fine for this --- a 386sx  might be a good
choice as later 386sx have very compact mother boards with a soldered on
processor. In addition Intel are now selling some nice tiny embedded
processor Pentium boards for industrial control apps.

You might also want to add a simple 2 line LCD text display for a status
display which could  be connected to the serial port.

If you want to monitor signals from sensitive equipment such as a lambda
sensors you will also need an op amp input stage, the AD622  chip is
designed  for data gathering applications easiest to use by a large margin  -
just follow the makers datasheet.

Here is a some of web sites on which you might pick up some info
http://www.picotech.com/   ----- a good range of low cost off the shelf
solutions  with nice software (demo version for down load)

http:/www.maplin.co.uk/     ---  general electronic components --- sell a
number of suitable modules and kits  also the August 1998 edition of the
Maplin Magazine "Electronics & Beyond"  (issue 128) contains plans for a very
simple data logger based on the TLC548  by Dr Pei An  who will also sell you
a kit or a pre-built module.
However the TLC548 is so simple to use you  a simple bit of tri-pad board
will do for the circuit.

The August 1998 Edition of     the magazine Electronics Today International
"ETI"      contains  a simple guide to multiplexing a data logger  by the
same Dr Pei An
http://www.aaelectron.co.uk/eti/
email:    eti at aaelectron.co.uk
US  agents         Wise Owl Worldwide  Publications, 4314 West 238th Street,
Torrance, CA9005-4509
                              phone (310) 375 6258   9am - 9pm pacfic time
10am -6 pm weekends

The September 1998 edition of  "Everyday Practical Electronics" magazine
contain an interesting article on interfacing LCD displays to the serial
port  by Robert  Penfold
http://www.epemag.winborne.co.uk/

Dr Pei An has also written a book    -- "PC  Interfacing using Centronic,
RS232 and Game Ports"  published Newes, Buterworth-Heineman 1998 ISBN
2405144831
Robert Penfold has also written books on the subject but these weren't base
round the TLC548 chip and are less relavent.

Regards Andy MacFadyen.