EGT the other way?.

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Sun Sep 13 16:44:20 GMT 1998

This might sound dumb, but I was looking at some gm service
manuals, and they show that the HEGO2 draws different levels
of current as the sensor heats.

NOW, instead of using the heater as just a heater, after it is warm
turn it off, then just use it a EGT sensor.  Use the difference in
resistances as a sensor.

Or install a inline resistor with the heater, and use the voltage drop
as a calibration scale.

Neither would be perfect but would/could/might be alot better than
chopping up an exhaust for an EGT sensor.  Just go to gm (or
how ever), and get a 4 lead O2 sensor.  I specify 4 lead just so
any body/chassis grounds are not included in a possible errors.

Any thoughts?.
Cheers
Bruce