DIY_EFI Digest V3 #424

Frederic Breitwieser frederic.breitwieser at xephic.dynip.com
Tue Sep 15 14:00:15 GMT 1998

>Oooops.  You're right.  It's 2N2222A.  The circuit says 2N2222A or 2N3904.
 The low price

THe 2N3904 sinks less current (180-100ma) than the 2n2222 (about 800ma).
Otherwise, they are the same, and provide the same performance.  Both are
general purpose transistors.

>I can buy for those? Or will any socket I can stick the prongs in work?

You can buy sockets from Digikey and/or mouser electronics - but you can
shove them into anything you like.  Radio Shack sells slightly overpriced
solderless breadboards which I use a lot (I made a 3'x2' wooden base full
of these things for larger projects), and of course, mail order these
solderless breadboards are cheaper.  Depends if you mind waiting or not :)

>My soldering skills
>suck and I'm sure I'll fry the resistors.

The resistors are less sensitive to heat compared to capacitors and
transistors, however let me share a little trick.  If you have a needlenose
plier, you use it to hold the lead you are soldering - it acts as a heat
sink thus protecting the part for a while.  They make official heat sings
for $3, but needlenose pliers work just as well.  I usually put a rubber
band over the handles to keep it closed, so I can use my other three, er,
two hands to solder properly.

practice!
practice!
practice!