VSS & 730 ECM

Vance Rose javer96 at snowcrest.net
Wed Sep 16 20:44:31 GMT 1998

At 10:18 AM 9/16/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Mike Hoenes wrote:
>>
>> I'm putting a TPI on my 355ci 85 S-10.
>> I have poured over the archives and cant find an answer to this question.
>>
>> How can I get a 730 ECM ( 91 F body automatic chip) to use the input from a
>> 2000ppm VSS (tapping into the output from the solid state VSS used by the
>> cruise control).  Near as I can tell, the F body program uses a 4000ppm
>> signal from two inputs ( hi & lo) rather than a 2000ppm single input.
>> I read that there is a select indicator, but no specifics were given about
>> which byte to change.  Which pin is used for the 2000ppm input to the ECM?
>>
>> Any alternatives beside getting a 4000ppm VSS  would be helpful.
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Mike
>
>Mike, go to the JTR site and get the Chevrolet TBI & TPI engine swapping
>manual.  I assume you already have the S-10 V* conversion book?  The
>other one covers the electronics and generic TPI/TBI issues like wiring
>harnesses in greater detail than the S-10 book, which mostly
>concentrates on making it fit.
>
>I have it, but it's at home.  I don't remember them mentioning a 4000
>PPM VSS but that's not to say it doesn't exist.  Worst case you can put
>a new VSS w/ mechanical cable connection in there, and get 4000 PPM for
>the ECM and 2000 PPM for the cruise.  Or you might get a 4000 PPM cruise
>module and forget the 2000 PPM altogether.
>
>--steve
>

>--
>Steve Ravet
>steve.ravet at arm.com
>Advanced Risc Machines, Inc.
>www.arm.com
>
>Hi All

	The wiring diagram for 91 Camaro with a 730 ecm. show pins BB9 (low) and
BB10 (high) for a trans mounted VSS. This type of sender is a coil and
reluctor ring. BB11 is 4000P/mi output and BC1 is 2000P/mi. These output
are used for speedo and cruise.

	Anyone have a good source for inline VSS units? Have need for two and four
pulse units. Would anyone know where control bit for VSS is for a 165 ecm
prom? That way i would change mine to a four pulse input.

Thanks Vance