GM TBI info needed

Shannen Durphey shannen at mcn.net
Sat Sep 19 14:36:35 GMT 1998

Stowe, Ted-SEA wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I have an ecm/throttle body from a 1985 canadian sunbird.
> I am trying to figure out a little more detail on the cpu
> and what the ecm requires
>
> the Serv. No. is 1226867        DJU
> 861611 M51197560
>
> the eprom has on it "DJU 4085"

That's the Broadcast code, the calibration if you will.  This is from a
1985 J body (cavalier, sunbird) 2.0l tbi, non closed loop (no O2),
without air conditioning, 3spd thm125 automatic, 3.18:1 final drive
ratio.

> the throttle body has the following numbers
> 17085082
> 0385HSK2S
>
> I do not know the VIN code of the engine, nor anything else about the car.
>
> I am trying to figure out if it had an O2 Sensor and what/where the speed
> sensor was.
>
> also as I ponder over the chilton's book , looking at generic examples from
> '85
>
> I see that there was an input from the brake pedal through the torque
> converter solenoid, C2 pin 19 ,I presume that was just an input 0 volts =
> brake pedal pressed ?
>
> I suppose I can ignore the air conditioning inputs/outputs ? (C1 7,9,21)

 I'd say yes.  The prom will.

> what would the gear selector switch do ? (C2 pin 6) looks like it was
> grounded in some selector position, or positions ?
Signals the ecm to bump idle speed slightly when engaging a drive gear,
preventing stalling.

> & finally, the 4 lines to the hei distributor, C1 10,2,3,19 ? were these
> inputs or outputs ??

 Yes to both.  One is reference to ECM, one is 5v bypass output, one is
timing signal from ecm, one is a ground shared with ecm. Don't remember
wire colors offhand.
Shannen