rotary FACTS - now can we stop!?

Jake Sternberg chickens at ccwf.cc.utexas.edu
Sat Sep 19 23:48:53 GMT 1998

i have a disassembled RX7 engine (12A) engine here in front of me.

the eccentric shaft is a big shiny silver chunk, the rotors ride on
it and are triangular.  the spark plugs are on one side of the oblong
shape (eliptrochoid) and fire each time one of the three sides of the
rotor is facing them.

it's true that the rotors make one turn for every three turns of the
mainshaft.  it's also true that they have three equally useful sides,
which is how a one-rotor engine would achieve one power stroke per one
revolution of the mainshaft.

a two rotor engine has the rotors 180 degrees out of phase with each other
(180 mainshaft degrees, 60 rotor degrees) and as such gets TWO power
strokes per ONE mainshaft revolution, just like a normal four-banger.

if anyone wants me to explain this further, ask me off list and i'll
describe the operation of a wankel engine. in the meantime can we
PLEASE STOP DISCUSSING WANKEL ENGINES, they are a WASTE OF BANDWIDTH.

thanks,
Jake