heat sinks and alt repair qiuestion

JRECPA at aol.com JRECPA at aol.com
Mon Sep 21 16:28:14 GMT 1998

In a message dated 9/21/98 9:12:19 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
rbraun at mail.enter.net writes:

<< The alt on my '91 GTA just puked, it's a CS-130 105 amp, I got it all
 apart and the way I see it the diode package grounds to the case
 through the heat sink compound.  I'm thinking the poor ground thus
 created is adding to the heat of the diode pack and helping to
 cause them to fail.   Should I leave heat sink compound off
 entirely?, or at the end where the output term connects? or add a
 ground wire?

 The base of the d-pack is 3/32" thick copper plate which mounts to
 the alum case of the alt.  Would a copper to alum. mount
 transfer electric and heat better with or without the heat sink goo?

 Any EE's want to give opinions?

 TIA,
 Randy Braun     rbraun at enter.net
 91  GTA
 82 Firebird

Be sure to put plenty of heat sink compound back on the diode pack.

I'll bet that your alternator's back is blocked buy engine components
that is why the diode pack is overheating, no air flow!

James