dead cylinder affect O2?

greg kring summit01 at nationwide.net
Mon Sep 21 21:05:14 GMT 1998

Just installed the new FP Performance ecm on my car last weekend. It has
one of the NTK wideband O2 sensors on it. After I got through with
initial startup and a few adjustments (only about 5 minutes on the
laptop to get the car to start and run) I drove it around. Could tell by
the sound that I had a dead cylinder. Turns out injector #3 wasn't
firing. I can solve that problem, but it got me to thinking. What effect
does a dead cylinder, either no fuel or no fire, have on the O2
readings? Especially one as sensitive as a wideband? Does the dead
cylinder pump extra air and cause the readings to be lean, therefore
signalling the ECM to dump more fuel , or what? I think you get the
general idea of my question. And since the wideband reads by a different
method than standard O2 sensors, does that matter?
greg kring
Arlington, Texas