[cl] Knock Modules - LT1

Wronski chris_wronski at css.mot.com
Tue Sep 22 19:01:07 GMT 1998

> module than the one that was installed in my PCM. So, I put that one in
> first...just to see the difference. Wow! Huge difference. While I still
> had knock retard...mostly at the shift points, it was only in for about
> 2-4 data packets, and topped out at 10 degrees! So, it seemed I found
> something...although I cannot quantify what changes were made between
> the two modules I tested. Second, knowing that GM produced an LT1 with
> roller rockers, and noisier cam drive (i.e. the LT4), I figured I would
> give that a try...since I am sure GM knows what they are doing when they
> tune these things. Again, the LT4 module was a completely different part
> number. Well, I put this module in and guess what...NO knock retard at
> all. Actually, when the motor is cold in open loop, I get a peak here
> and there of about 8 degrees retard, but it only lasts for ONE data

Larry:

Congrats on the find.  I'm glad to see someone take a logical approach to
finding and solving the problem instead of just disconnecting the knock sensor
like so many people have done.

Just as a sanity check, it may not be a bad idea to try to force your car into
a situation where it will ping to see if the new setup detects that.  Only
thing I could think of would be to put in some of the crappiest gas you can
find...unless you want to mix some oil in with the gas.

	-c