HC11 disassembler wanted

T Hergen thergen at svn.net
Sat Sep 26 04:17:46 GMT 1998

I think Ludis is correct.  Not even Motorola claims the 68hc11 is a
superset of the 6809 (in the Motorola data books I have).  Motorola claims
"Source Code Compatible..." for the 6809 compared to the 6800, but this
does not mean all the ones and zeros are the same (as alluded to in a

As an example of a 6809 opcode that does something different on a 68hc11,
check 0x1C (in various programming languages, hex number are often
preceeded by a "0x" to differentiate them from decimal numbers). It's BSET
on the hc11 and ANDCC on the 6809.  I think they even have a different
number of operands which means the next instruction starts at a different
point in the two processors (may mess up disassembly of next instruction).

Both the 68hc11 and 6809 have 6800 heritage, so there are numerous
similiarities.

What this means is that a 6809 disassembler will give incorrect results
for some opcodes (and the following opcodes in some cases) when used to
process 68hc11 code.  Alot of the results may still be useful, just watch
out for the limitations.

Tom