Inlet manifold runner length

ECMnut at aol.com ECMnut at aol.com
Mon Sep 28 03:40:26 GMT 1998

Can't give you a canned answer for that one.
There was a good book I read years ago called
"The Chevrolet Racing Engine" by Bill Jenkins.
If I recall correctly, you first need to know the
desired RPM for the torgue peak, the rod/stroke
ratio, compression ratio & valve overlap, if any..
The ratio of rod length to stroke allows you to
A lower number for R/S ration means greater
acceleration rate of the piston away from TDC...
I forget how that acts on the intake charge..
Then from there you can determine good
port volumes & runner lengths.  This should
also be used on the exhaust side for choosing
header primary tube length & diameter...
In watching the stuff in the junkyards there
seems to be a trend toward increased runner
lenghts in the dry manifold variety.
hmmm...
Can't you adapt FI to an existing intake manifold?
It sounds like it would be much easier, as long
as you didn't relocate the intake ports in the head.
GL
Mike V