new to list, FAQ, Bosch DME

Steve Iverson siverson at san.rr.com
Wed Sep 30 04:03:12 GMT 1998

Hello. I'm new to the list and am looking for any FAQ's that may help me
catch up on some of the discussion. In particular, I'm interested in
learning more about Bosch's DME. I have Bosch's book already, but am looking
for site or tips as to how to go about reprogramming it, and eventually
sensor modification.

I have a '74 914 with a 1991 911 3.6 liter engine. You can see more details
on my car at http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~siverson/914/36/, if you'd like. The
engine is stock except for a modified intake (wouldn't fit due to trunk),
modified exhaust (racing 914/6 1.75" headers), and a lightweight flywheel.
Currently the DME mapping is stock and I don't think it is optimal. The
engine will stall sometimes because, I believe, the lightweight flywheel
lets it "spin down" too quickly. Furthermore, I think more horsepower could
be achieved if the programming was optimized for my less restrictive
exhaust. Let me know if you guys have any suggestions or where I can look,
or where to start.

I have a CS degree, but am anxious to get a little dirty in some of this
EE/embedded stuff I know nothing about!

-Steve