New List Participant - very new

Jemison Richard JemisonR at tce.com
Wed Sep 30 14:34:21 GMT 1998

Hello and let me apologize in advance for the level of my expertise with
regard to electronic fuel injection.  I hope to learn much.  I've been very
impressed with what I've heard in the last few days.  I have two questions.

1)  I have a '92 Saturn coupe with multiport injection.  It won't idle very
well at all and dies if the air conditioning is turn on (idles worse in gear
than in neutral also).  It also has a miss (sudden jerking - happens a low
to moderate speeds in gentle acceleration mode (20-40mph).  Pressing the
accelerator enough to go into passing gear eliminates all problems and it
runs fine - runs very well on top end also (for a Saturn).  I've changed the
IAC (my codes were pointing to that).  Oh that Idle Air Control Valve (I
don't know what acronyms are standard yet!)  This car has a dual overhead
cam engine 1.9L.

2)  The real reason I'm here is that I'm a motorcycle enthusiast and want to
design (or adapt if someone much smarter than me has already done this!
This will NOT hurt my feelings any) an electronic fuel injection system that
would be generic enough in nature to fit many similar engine sized Japanese
bikes that were carbureted.

     At this point I don't even know where to begin.  Of course, from my
perspective, existing units are attractive but reprogramming the control
computers is a black box for me.  One thing I've toyed with is single board
computers (SBCs).  I worked a bit with process control in the pharmaceutical
industry about 8 years ago and got some experience programming these guys.
They're cheap and readily available and of late have a lot of inexpensive
digital and analog sensing options.  Big question is, has anyone gone down
this path and if so, is it worth looking at?

     I again apologize for what are probably pretty simple (and possibly
silly) questions.  I'm just looking for some good initial direction to
pursue.  Any help will be gratefully received!

Rick
Indy