Diesels

Peter D. Hipson mail at darkstar.mv.com
Thu Apr 1 20:16:38 GMT 1999

Though they are the same stuff, heating oil (not Kero, though) is dyed to
indicate that road taxes were *not* paid. Being caught on the road can
spell trouble. On private property, you can go for it, though I'd check the
fuel filter a bit more often to ensure that the dye doesn't cause problems.
<g>

Now this applies to the US, so take it with a grain of salt if you are not
in the states!

At 02:10 PM 4/1/99 GMT, you wrote:
>Any body know the typical cetane rating of Diesel fuel
>and how it compares to heating oil.
>
>My brother-in-law tells me that he occasionally runs
>his farm land rover (2.5 Turbo D) on
>oil from the central heating tank when he runs
>low on the farm tractor (diesel) tank.  Is this going to break his
>motor ?
>
>NBD

Thanks,
        Peter Hipson (founder, NEHOG)