Diesels

Michael D. Porter mdporter at rt66.com
Thu Apr 1 20:36:56 GMT 1999

Pat Ford wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Apr 1999, nitrambod wrote:

> > My brother-in-law tells me that he occasionally runs
> > his farm land rover (2.5 Turbo D) on
> > oil from the central heating tank when he runs
> > low on the farm tractor (diesel) tank.  Is this going to break his
> > motor ?
> >
> > NBD
>
> I've seen rover marine diesels that have furnace oil for years, they seem
> to have more of a problem with the filters, and dirty injectors. The
> other thing is that the fuel waxes ( sorta freezes) and a higher temp
> then diesel fuel
>

> Pat Ford

Pat, and all, the problem with with filters, dirty injectors, etc.,
derives from using fuel stored in home or farm tanks for a long period.
There is an algae-like microbe which likes, and grows in, #1 diesel or
home heating fuel. That's what causes the accelerated clogging. One
doesn't notice it in normal automotive use, because the fuel is expended
much more quickly. For people who do want to use home or farm heating
fuels in diesel engines, there is an algicide available to minimize
growth of the little beastie.

Cheers.