'50s MOPAR Hemi question

JRECPA at aol.com JRECPA at aol.com
Sun Apr 4 00:59:34 GMT 1999

In a message dated 4/3/99 4:40:24 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
Tedscj at aol.com writes:

<< In a message dated 4/3/99 4:58:49 PM Eastern Standard Time,
 clare.snyder.on.ca at ibm.net writes:

 > Does your 325 have solid or hydraulic lifters? The hydraulic lifter
 >  engine was standard on the Royal Custom - solids made it a D500 .Super
 >  D500 had dual quads and solids.
 >  The D501 was the 354 cid engine with hydraulics and dual 4BBls.
 >  All were Hemis.
 >
 >  If this is a DODGE engine, not Chrysler od Desoto, you can be sure this
 >  is correct.

 I think I have the same source of information as James (Standard Catalog of
 American Autos).
 It basically says that Coronet, Royal and Custom Royals come with a "KDS"
 engine and the D500 comes with the "D501" engine.  This particular Hemi I
 found is a "KD500", which the "Catalog" does not even mention.
 According to numerous Hemi serial # sources on the web, they all agree that
 the "KDS" engines are "polys"(not true hemis) while the "KD500" is a 325
 "hemi" and the "D501" is a 354 "hemi".  The KDS and KD500 are DODGE engines
 while the D501 (354) is a CHRYSLER.

 As for the lifter situation, I don't know.  A friend who lives near the car
 looked at it and got the serial# for me.    The lifters may be the key to
 this whole thing, so I'll try to get him back out there to check it out
 again.  The real issue is that a true D500 comes with a stiffer suspension
 and other hidden goodies.   A regular Royal with a Hemi just wouldn't be the
 same.

 Thanks a lot for the info,
 Ted

According to my chiltons book the 325's were all hydraulic lifters.
The D500 had the hemi head.

My question to you is this the best choice for an engine?
The old hemi's weight was a problem for acceleration.
If it was me that wanted an older hemi I would get the 392 from a
57 c-300. Rated at 375HP with solid lifters.

James