ABS Wheel sensor signal generator

Shannen Durphey shannen at grolen.com
Sun Apr 4 00:15:38 GMT 1999

Chris Moore wrote:

> Hi Shannen,
>   I have the GM manuals for the 1995 Seville.  It is very nice.  It
> still does not have the info that I need in it.  The wheel sensor is
> different than most.  It is internal in the wheel bearing and I cannot
> count the teeth.  How else can I get this signal?  Dealers probably
> won't have a clue.  They usually never do.

Careful, I'm a dealership tech.

> Especially when I tell them what I am doing.
>Is there some how I can use the bearing and just spin
> it by hand to get a signal and do some math to make sure I can make a
> generator that is set over the 18 mile/hour mark?
> Thanks

If you can find a failed bearing and a press, try to take it apart.
More work would be to measure the signal output frequency at a known
speed.  This would require a running car, a suitable DVOM, and a
sturdy set of jackstands.
Then there's trial and error with an adjustable frequency signal
generator...
Shannen