HEMI:-)

Tedscj at aol.com Tedscj at aol.com
Sun Apr 4 14:09:02 GMT 1999

talltom at effectnet.com writes:

> While all the hemi heads are here, I'd like to ask what's supposed
>  to be in a 57 DeSoto Adventurer. A buddy's got one, and it's got
>  the factory 2-4 barrel carbs. He sez it can run 140, I'd like
>  to know what it sposed to be.
>     I wanna keep from gettin my doors blown off by a 57 DeSoto...:-)
>  (This thing IS the car in the SHOE cartoon)

The book I have (although I'm not completely convinced of it's accuracy) says
a 345ci Hemi v8 with twin quad induction, 9.25 to 1 compression ratio,
hydraulic valve lifters, and 345 HP.  Also, it states that the '57 Adventurer
was the first car have an engine with 1 HP per 1 CI as *standard* equipment.
And I have read that a '56 Chrysler 300B (similar size car and Hemi engine
with similar HP figures) could do 140, so I'd bet with the right gearing,
your friends Adventurer could, too.  (at least according to Hemi lore!)

Ted