'50s MOPAR Hemi question

Tedscj at aol.com Tedscj at aol.com
Sun Apr 4 20:13:35 GMT 1999

clare.snyder.on.ca at ibm.net writes:

> Which version are you looking at? I have 3rd edition. On page 280
>  "production of 500 D500s was scheduled.Approxemately 101 were fitted
>  with D501 engine."This means all others got either D500 or Super D500s.
>  It also states the D500 was an option on ALL models, from Coronet on up,
>  and either 285,310, or 340 Horse engines were fitted
>  Then comes the information I submitted previously. D500 is 325cid 285
>  horse solid lifter, single WCFB. Super D500 is same engine with dual
>  WCFBs and 310 HP.
>  The D501 was the 354 hydraulic dual WCFB engine with 340 HP.
>  93.4% of '57 Dodges produced were V8s. I made one mistake - not all 325s
>  were Hemis in 1957, as the Red Ram was just a bored out version of'55 -
>  '56s PolySpherical head 315. In '53 and '54 the Red Ram WAS a Hemi. (I
>  owned a '53 for quite a few years.)
>  In '58 the D500 was based on the (again bored out) 361 Poly head engine.

Thanks.  This is exactly the information I was looking for but couldn't find.
 I think that the car I found is a Custom Royal with a D500 Hemi option.

My edtion must be the first, because it doesn't specify which edition.
Copyright 1982.  '57 Dodge info on pg 278 (close! :)  Hardly gives any info
compared to what you just gave me.  Guess I need a newer edition!

Anyway, thanks cuz that info answers my question.

Ted