'50s MOPAR Hemi question

Peter D. Hipson mail at darkstar.mv.com
Sun Apr 4 22:56:14 GMT 1999

Dear God, am I going to show my age? <bg> Old Chrysler products were a
favorite of mine! <g>

At 01:02 PM 4/3/99 EST, you wrote:
>This isn't really EFI related, but can anyone point me to detailed
>information on '50s Mopar information?  My Web searches are only turning up
>'60s info.
>
>Specifically, I found a '57 Dodge Custom Royal with a 325 Hemi and a single
>4bbl for sale fairly cheap.

You planning to restore it? That would be a fun project. However a 325 hemi
was not the most powerful engine of that vintage. That is if the 325 is
really a hemi! If it is, it is the smallest hemi that I"ve ever heard of!
<g> Are the spark plugs in the middle of the valve covers, or on the side?
If not in the middle of the valve covers, then it's not a hemi, if in the
middle of the valve covers, it's a hemi, but not (most likely) a '325'.
Maybe a 392, or a 354.

> I'm trying to find out if that makes it the D500
>option or if ALL Royal Customs came with Hemis.

That I can't answer for sure, but there were other engine combinations. The
hemi was a top end engine, though.

>If it had the dual 4bbl
>motor, then I'd be sure it was a D500 but it's only a single four which
>leaves me confused.

I'm not sure that there was a dual 4bbl on the 325. whether the 325 is a
hemi or not, that would be way too much carb for the CI. Remember, a 325 is
a relatively small engine. When I built Chevy 327 race engines, we were
pushing with a larger 4bbl, and anything more was counter productive (we
would get about 450 HP, with an engine that was streetable, not easy but
drivable!)

>The serial # on the motor was KD500-1151 which IS a Dodge Hemi motor for the
>57 model year.  I just don't know if this makes the CAR a D500 which
>seriously affects it's value.

2 door hardtop? that is just as important! <bg>

>Thanks for any direction to the info.
>Ted

Thanks,
        Peter Hipson (founder, NEHOG)