'50s MOPAR Hemi question

Tedscj at aol.com Tedscj at aol.com
Mon Apr 5 01:33:26 GMT 1999

mail at darkstar.mv.com writes:

> Dear God, am I going to show my age? <bg> Old Chrysler products were a
>  favorite of mine! <g>

>  You planning to restore it? That would be a fun project. However a 325 hemi
>  was not the most powerful engine of that vintage. That is if the 325 is
>  really a hemi! If it is, it is the smallest hemi that I"ve ever heard of!
>  <g> Are the spark plugs in the middle of the valve covers, or on the side?
>  If not in the middle of the valve covers, then it's not a hemi, if in the
>  middle of the valve covers, it's a hemi, but not (most likely) a '325'.
>  Maybe a 392, or a 354.

yep, that's the plan (to restore).  There is a 325 hemi produced by Dodge.
They made them all the way down to 240 CI !
A friend of mine looked at it and got the serial#.  It's definately a hemi.
He looked at it again today and it has a single exhaust and only a 2speed
auto though :(

>  > I'm trying to find out if that makes it the D500
>  >option or if ALL Royal Customs came with Hemis.
>
>  That I can't answer for sure, but there were other engine combinations. The
>  hemi was a top end engine, though.
>
>  >If it had the dual 4bbl
>  >motor, then I'd be sure it was a D500 but it's only a single four which
>  >leaves me confused.
>
>  I'm not sure that there was a dual 4bbl on the 325. whether the 325 is a
>  hemi or not, that would be way too much carb for the CI. Remember, a 325 is
>  a relatively small engine. When I built Chevy 327 race engines, we were
>  pushing with a larger 4bbl, and anything more was counter productive (we
>  would get about 450 HP, with an engine that was streetable, not easy but
>  drivable!)

The top of the line hemi had 2x4 carbs.  I agree that's overkill.  Probably
more of a marketing gimmick ... ,but I'd buy into it!  it just looks cool!
And if your going to buy anything from the fifties it's gonna be for looks.
A '76 Vega with a Chevy 350 would be a far superior and more economical,
practical, faster car... but yuck!

>  >The serial # on the motor was KD500-1151 which IS a Dodge Hemi motor for
> the
>  >57 model year.  I just don't know if this makes the CAR a D500 which
>  >seriously affects it's value.
>
>  2 door hardtop? that is just as important! <bg>

Yep.

>  >
>  >Thanks for any direction to the info.
>  >Ted