Toyota Supra twin turbo and water injection.

Steve N. sgn1 at ra.msstate.edu
Mon Apr 5 02:51:07 GMT 1999

Ok, so we know that H2O injection is good because is suppresses
detonation allowing one to run higher effective compression ratios, and
that it increases VE through charge cooling.  The question I have is if
it increases power though increased cylinder pressures...

While I have not purchased the internal combustion books that have been
recommended on the list (that I really need to get) it is my
understanding that when gas and air are ignited, pressure in the
cylinder is created through the chemical reaction of the mixture.  Now
in this process a great amount of heat is created and I guess this is
where I need to ask a supporting question.  Is the pressure in the
cylinder a product of the greater volume of the resultant gases created
through the chemical reaction, or rather from the heat of the reaction
causing the gases to expand?

Either way there is a great amount of left over heat from the process.
By injecting into the cylinder water in liquid form, wouldn't the
transformation to the gaseous state cause an increase in pressure?  If
so, is this increase significant when compared the pressure created by
the gas and air?

Steve N.