Suggestions for Adjusting WOT fuel?

Bruce Plecan nacelp at bright.net
Wed Apr 7 20:33:02 GMT 1999

----- Original Message -----
From: Roger Heflin <rah at horizon.hit.net>
To: <diy_efi at esl.eng.ohio-state.edu>
Sent: Wednesday, April 07, 1999 12:19 PM
Subject: Re: Suggestions for Adjusting WOT fuel?

Couple things,
  Knock is real, no two ways about it.  May be a false indication due to
poor electronics, but to accurately tell if you have knock, means pulling
plugs, unless you have an ionization detection unit running.  Even saying
you don't hear it means just that there is no audible knock.
  You can always run first gear leaner then the rest.  With the additional
gear multiplication of the tranny you can't develope AS much heat as when in
the higher gears.   Heat meaning engine load.  Any one who has put too much
gear in a stock motored car can tell ya about how lame they can get..
  Once tuned you can use the O2 as a rough indicator of all's well.  But,
that still should be supported by reading the plugs...........
  You can (any one really) can screw up the tune up to not generate audible
knock, and kick the rings out of it...  With the better exhuast valves, that
fuse is no longer around.  Again, IMHO.
  EGT doesn't tell you anything about the level of tune that your dealing
with.  Just how close you are to the thermal limits of you engine.  Meaning
you can have a rocket at 1550dF or a pig at 1550dF.  Depending on the depth
of your wallet sets the limit of EGT temp, and experimenting at what the
limit is for your engine.
  The trick to tune-up is actually measuring what your doing in performance.
Yes, Doc, I know it's time for my meds now
Bruce